Monday 11 June 2007

The Bugs Are Back

It was the classic football-stuck-in-a-tree dilemma, to which I had the classic solution: throw another ball up to knock the first one down.

It was the classic two-footballs-stuck-in-a-tree dilemma, to which I had the classic solution... where's a big stick.

There were lots of parents milling around at club activity time today, as we had the grand send-off ceremony ahead of the city sports tournament this weekend. The slogan adopted is 'You can do it!', which I giggle at every time it's shouted (which Adam Sandler film did that feature in??). They do shout it with such gusto too.

Just after I'd hurled the second ball to it's nestling place, one of the younger kids pointed at the tree trunk and started yelling something I didn't understand in Japanese (who am I kidding, I don't understand anything yelled in Japanese...I don't understand a lot in Japanese). There was a biiiiiiiig beetle (about as big as that last big) scaling the trunk in that nonchalant, two-fingers-to-gravity way that bugs do. The creepy bastards.

After school, getting on for mid-dusk, I went to the river for a run. I've often caught a fly in my mouth, running, or cycling along, but I have to say I've never experienced the pleasures of jogging through a cloud of midges. Several clouds of several thousand midges. So many, in fact, that even going at a fair old pelt there's still enough time as you scramble through to

a. register you have entered a midge cloud
b. cough
c. hack
d. swat left and swat right
e. catch a few in the eyes
f. stumble
g. swat right and left
h. cough

I can tell you reader, it's not the most pleasant nor gracious of ways to stride beside the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment