Monday 29 October 2007

Stevenage

Saturday night I went to Shinsuke's house for a Halloween party. Not knowing where it was, I met him on his bike in my car, outside a foreign foods store right near to his place. I followed him through the pouring rain as he pointed the way with sharp jabs of his umbrella left and right.

Most of the others there had costumes. Then there were two guys who had matching suits, hair-cuts and name-badges, and I wanted to ask, 'What did you come as, tax inspectors?' Turns out they were two of the Mormon missionaries here in Yamagata from Shinsuke's conversation class, and no, they weren't in costume.

I met Shinsuke's family too, all of whom were really warm and welcoming. Turns out his Dad has visited England- he went to Stevenage (the next town along from my home town Hertford) about 20 years ago. Stevenage isn't the nicest place in the world. But it was the first new town in the world, so Stevenage it was Shinsuke's father and some other representatives from the Yamagata city hall visited those years ago.

I wanted it to be true a little too much. I asked, 'So....Yamagata is modelled on Stevenage??'

Shinsuke's Dad said a little, just the south part.

No comments:

Post a Comment