Wednesday 14 May 2008

Small town

The trees in the hills all burst into fresh bright vibrant green new leaves, throwing the dark leafed evergreens into relief.

Last week at the Plant Festival in my neighbourhood, I was accosted by two high school girls, thrilled to spot a foreigner. They insisted on taking my picture with Keitai mobile phones.

Yesterday I sat outside, but under shelter at Tully's, watching the rain they'd predicted come bucketing down. Moments before, one of those girls had passed, sat herself down and began searching for the photo she'd taken, to show a different friend she was with nicknamed Nago.

Before she found that picture, he showed me two more pictures of foreigners. The first, hilariously, was of two Mormons she introduced as Christians. I see them all the time, pairing up on some poor kid on his or her way somewhere, caught between the red man and an earful of Godspeak at the traffic lights.

The second was of Clare, in Tendo, and was equally hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment