Sunday 9 November 2008

Thethemodelmasherandme

I got sick and it knocked the stuffing out of me.

The traditional remedy of temporarily over-eating and steering straight did not have the desired effect. Throwing coffee and willpower into the mix seemed to only exacerbate things. So I fell back on on super foods and sleep and it's worked the magic. I'm back.

Friday afternoon in between waves of pounds and skull throttlingly painful headaches (mayeb I'm exaggerating) school finished up and I did a superman, sprang into my suit and dashed off to the Canadian Embassy to open the front door for people, for the most part, with far too much money and far too few manners. Actually that's a lie, it might have been a 60-40 split between the good the bad with the ugly nowhere to be seen. There was one especially attractive lady who strode through the door in ankle boots and a mini skirt and turned out to be the Japan entry for the Ms Universe competition. There were also a few ambassadors and some other smug young twits from Blighty, all swilling back expensive wine and bidding 10s of thousands of yen (er, actually not as much as it sounds) on cases of wine in live auction. It was a fund-raiser for a charity/English and many other language speaking helpline here in Tokyo. I thinkit worked out ok for them. I tucked into the free gourmet scraps on offer backstage in the volunteers room and gazed out on the view across Aoyama-Ichome, the rich district.

Anyway I wasn't feeling top of the world then, but now I'm back, as I said earlier. A parcel arrived from England, containing a masher, amongst other things. I take mashed potatos pretty seriously. And this is one serious potatoe masher. Knowing it was on its way across the world, I've refrained form buying one. And boy was it worth the wait. It's a beaut. All of my strength flooding back, I ground and mashed the life out of half a large sweet potato and several rubbery old Jaga Imo, plain old potoatos tonight. Mash mash mash, the power, the power....

No comments:

Post a Comment