Thursday 18 December 2008

Ambitions

I found myself on the longest road in Japan the other day. Somewhere near Togoshiginza station. It seemed kind of fitting for the evening that followed. My frisbee team had an End-of-Year party (Bonenkai) and a lot of the team plus a few new faces showed up. One or two of the new faces were co-workers of Jei and Kerry, both employed by Wall Street Associates, a recruitment firm. One of the new faces was none other than the ex-President of AJET, the main support network and social branch of the JET programme. it's a big position. She had moved from the top of the JET programme to Wall Street Associates and was soon to return to the States to work in the State Department under Hillary Clinton.

A few weeks ago, I finally took the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, for which I stayed in Japan. I happened to pick up full-time employment in a kindergarten / international school for Japanese kids whilst looking for enough to survive until the test and now that's what I do. I moved on from teaching English in the countryside, to teaching English in the city, and I can't help but wonder where did it all go wrong?!

No comments:

Post a Comment