Wednesday 7 January 2009

A new project

Most people start off the New Year with a hangover and a couple of flimsy New Year's Resolutions. I'm no different, except I started 2009 with just one flimsy resolution. It's more of a challenge, actually.

More friends.

That's it.

At the end of 2008 I found myself woefully single and with few friends to call up once the winter holiday had started. It's not that I haven't met many people- far from it, I seem to meet people every day. Over 10% of the population of Japan live in Tokyo, clocking in at over 12 million and half of them seem to cross my path every day in the human crush. I just haven't, you know, befriended too many of the people I've met. I haven't really been making the effort.

Also, I found myself missing something. It feels exciting to talk to new people. It's exciting to walk into a room in which you know one person and nothing else. I like to surprise people and talk to them in situations in which normally you might not talk. I missed signing up for activities, clubs, teams, anything, and meeting people.

I had my flimsy resolution come challenge then. A friend for every day of the year. One friend per day. If I could do that, I'd practically double my Facebook friends. I'd never want for someone to talk to or go for a drink with, or maybe a jog. But what constitutes a friend? Surely I'd have to know more than their name, but how much more? Telephone number? Favourite colour? I didn't really come up with an answer to this one. I've got good friends who I hardly know and I've got better friends I've hardly known for the last two years. How much you know about a person or how much you're in contact with them didn't seem to matter. What did, what does matter, is the trying. Making friends (in the present progressive). I want to just start talking to people more.

No comments:

Post a Comment