Friday 16 February 2007

Special K

Kasuya Sensei is one in a godzillian.

Being the teacher in charge of kyushoku, she gets away with tucking away scraps for me on Fridays (when I'm elsewhere engaged, with smaller scrots at Meiji Shogakko). Today was an ice cream puff (eaten in the car on the way home), a fried fish, tail poking out of the sesame-fry crust (wolfed down after a jog in ankle deep snow by the river) and a raisin bun- breakfast tomorrow.

She's done a lot for me. Mostly food things. She baked three cakes for me last December. She brings me treats all the time. A couple of weeks ago she came over with a saucer of cheese and proposed a taste test. She looked a little crestfallen when I smugly announced, 'Brie Cheddar Parmesan' without so much as a nibble. I felt an arse.

But I felt even more of an arse the other day when she came and sat down near me with a hi-fi as big as her and listened to a tape of Australian English on repeat. The fifth rendition of 'Let's have a barbie on Saturday avo' grated my nerves, a little.

Our relationship depends on mutual favours and acts of kindness. She makes food or brings me food. I buy small presents.

'Do you have a pair of headphones Kasuya Sensei?' I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment