Saturday 12 May 2007

Paper me

I went to my Japanese lesson in the usual place and found, along with Suzuki Sensei, a man who wore bandages wrapped round his hands,looking more like a fighter than a leper. There was a single piece of paper between them. Ah, the paperwork. We'd been ousted from the usual room in the international centre by new management and new rules.

So this week we had our lesson in the foyer area of Kajo Central in an Imoni bowl themed table. Surrounded by the bowl and imitation blocks of beef, leek and devil's tongue, we talked about Golden Week, what she did and all that me and my Dad did.

Half way through, Suzuki Sensei gave me a newspaper clipping of me. The reporter had come to school a while back. Most of the interview was spent giggling at one another as I fell back from true answers, to slightly true answers, to down right lies, but lies I could express in Japanese.

I thought I wouldn't have a copy of the article (front page of the Yamagata Evening newspaper!) to send back home. How wrong I was. The clipping Suzuki Sensei gave me falls roughly in the middle of the following timeline:

Tuesday: I text the City Hall and manage to arrange a copy of the clipping;

Wednesday: Ito-Sensei shows me the article and gives me the paper...Oba-Sensei is exhilarated to tell me I was in in the paper;

Thursday: Oba Sensei gives me the clipping...Suzuki Sensei gives me the clipping;

Friday: A letter arrives (from whom I still do not know) at school, with the clipping pasted on a piece of paper...A copy sent by the Yamagata Evening Newspaper awaits my return at home.

Looks like you'll get a copy after all Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment