Tuesday 3 August 2010

Do they come in kevlar?

















I'd been waiting for the moment for a little more than a year. I knew a man in Tokyo whose stated goal in life was to develop a pair of pants that could be washed, then dried with three swings around his head. He was a pants guy. He had filing cabinets filled with all manner of different pants. He really knew his fabrics. The samurai pants range was designed as something a wife might gift her husband to wear on that really important day at the office or for that crucial board presentation. They were a success- they even made it onto boing boing.

One of my last days in Tokyo he laid them all out, the samurai pants range, and he invited me to pick out my favourite pair. So I did, and they didn't surface again for a year; I hadn't forgotten about them, it's just the moment had never come. There's no board room in my office. There's only one room, really.

Recently I had an interview for a front-of-camera job. This was the moment. I wore them, and I like to think I really knocked that interview out of the park. Throughout the interview, I couldn't stop thinking about my pants (I think maybe I did need an L rather than M after all). One mighty swing. Bam. Here's my CV, yes it's all quite true, why thank you I'm proud of that yes. Didn't get the job though. They wanted someone with more front of camera experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment