Tuesday 31 August 2010

Hello Autumn



Autumn is the new summer. Shout it to the eaves, whisper it to the chrysanthemums, tell the nearest kid to pull out his wellies and go jumping in puddles. Rain came and with it, an unseasonal, thick green sweep across the land. Autumn raided Summer's wardrobe and stole her best frock. The wind picked up and the temperature dropped. Except for that green wash, all of the brightest colours on show tarnished and bleached quite suddenly- the hydrangeas went from bright blue to weak tea, the trees started dropping pale leaves, all of the berries have gone and the gorse has started to retreat. All in all, it's been the kind of delightful foretaste of autumn that inspires a feeling of dreaminess that compels you to use words like delightful.

At work, Spotify has come to satisfy a large chunk of my daily music needs. It's one perk in an otherwise tedious, unfulfilling job with no discernible redeeming factor whatsoever. I listen to lots of music at work.



Occasionally, inspiration deserts me and I am bereft of ideas of what to select next to listen to. Sometimes I take a chance and follow the similar artists selected by Spotify. Sometimes I browse review sites, blogs or facebook music likes to get my imagination going. Sometimes I play things I've been listening to elsewhere. Sometimes, sometimes I even consult my colleagues, although this is a risky business and to be considered an absolute last resort. Recently, I discovered the search menu on a website called allmusic.com. You can search by Editor's Choice, by instrument, or you can search by mood.

Acerbic, Agressive, Ambitious, Amiable/Good-Natured, Angry, Angst-ridden, Atmospheric, Austere and right at the end of the A Moods, Autumnal. This has been my go-to point for music recently.




Thanks to allmusic.com's parameters of autumnal music, I discovered Fairport Convention and a few other bits I hadn't known. Some choices I agree with and definitely find autumnal. Some I don't. However, the really interesting part wasn't in the music but actually comparing the 'Similar Moods' with my definition of Autumn. According to the site, come Autumn I'll probably be feeling a little 'reflective', 'intimate' and even 'literate', amongst others. Which bodes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment