Tuesday 12 October 2010

Running

I've been doing a lot of running recently. The idea is to get a good base level of fitness ahead of some serious marathon training from November or December onwards..

Mostly I've been running in the mornings. Once on the weekend, a few times at night. Any time of day I run, it takes a certain degree of willpower to get outside and start. Actually, it takes a lot of willpower. In the mornings, there's always a warm bed between me and the cold morning and weak light outside. If I run in the evenings, I can't shake the thought of the run for the duration of my commute home and my mind tests my resolve, turning over all kinds of excuses- I won't have time to make dinner if I run; it'll already be dark when I get back, I won't see my feet or be able to judge the camber and roll of the pavements; I have other things to do (I don't, really).

Once I'm outside though, once I've stepped out of the door there's no turning back. Once I crawled back into bed instead of running, crying heavy legs and convincing myself a day's rest wold do me good. So long as I make it downstairs to the front door I'm ok though. All I have to do is trick my mind, or sabotage my natural thought-processes long enough to get there, stamp my feet into my trainers and slam the door behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment