Thursday 30 October 2008

Fokyo Taker


Friends invited me to a design exhibition launch night and I arrived early. As it turned out, the venue, the Machihara Building, sits right beside the very river (the Meguro River) that I cycle along to work. In fact I cycle right past that Machihara Building every time I cycle to work.

I didn't know anyone there and instead of dawdling like a dork I went up to the reception desk to cough up admission fee. There was none. Instead they gave me a plastic cup, a piece of tape and a black marker pen, then told me to write my name and asked, Beer champagne or soft drink beer please thanks very much and free did you say? I went back for later.

At nearby tables there were platters of nibbles, all of which were white. I think that had some kind of significance. Soft-boiled cauliflower, marshmallows and mushrooms. Every now and then a gust of wind would lift and scatter the black plastic forks and napkins. The evening reached a zenith when I witnessed a man dressed particularly arty gesticulate in an exaggerated fashion with a fork, on the end of which was a piece of soft-boiled cauliflower.

My friends turned up and we perused the lights and tables and a strange leather loaf shaped container that bragged somesuch like, 'with use the grease from your fingers will darken the leather like a loaf being baked'. Some time later, I wandered out as freely as I wandered in.

No comments:

Post a Comment