Thursday 23 October 2008

Lost things

I had a very sharp pang of loneliness this evening. It wasn't a particularly regular feeling. I think it might be the first time I've encountered this variety, like catching a cold with all kinds of different symptoms in minute ways.

I read in the annual old boy magazine from my old school of a friend's wedding. I couldn't quite believe it, but that's all back-story anyhow. Today I logged onto facebook and saw some photos of the big day itself. I hadn't known the date. There was my old mate, a guy I used to spend a lot of time with, dressed in Sunday best and beaming. A further root around profiles and photos albums and another good mate cropped up, the best man, another really good mate from whom I've drifted. Another shot, I could name all but one of the lads standing looking at a different camera to the one that took the picture I was scrutinizing.

I suddenly felt like going back to England and had a jolt. Not really homesickness, because I stopped trying to make homes anywhere a long time ago. I wondered who I'd pick as my best man if I got married and no-one came to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment