Saturday 1 August 2009

San Francisco


In an exercise of Kerouacian fly off the pins and onto the page write-wise this next transmission will come unadulterated and straight up from all I've seen with these good-bye eyes in the fair, foggy city of San-Fran-Cisco.

Dressed in sandals and a scarf the cold hit me off guard, me not the cold dressed in sandals and a scarf and even that's a lie they're not even sandals. Sisters or cousins of sandals but no sandals. I digress.

Autumn came early this summer for me and perpetually the season is in flux back to the verity of it all. 'This is it, This is all' sang a pack of modern day hippies in Washington Square park, themselves dressed in great coats and beanies and playing double bass and banjo and singing while dogs ran unfettered round them.

Every one is after a buck but every one seems to have a skit, from the beggars to the buskers and the bike rent people. I'll take change for verbal abuse said one beggar and another told me he'd tell me where I got my sandals (they're not sandals I thought) but he didn't he just told me they got onto my feet right there in front of me so I gave him a buck for being a wise-ass and bold too but I might have thought him just an ass if I wasn't in America and doing my darnedest to sprekkie the parlez of this place, which is manifold and many.

We've eaten in many places with names- Lori's Diner, Dave's Bar, Jack's Bar... We had burger, pizza, bagel and burrito in that order for our first 4 squares. There haven't been many green vegetables, nor any other colour vegetables.

Thanks be to Andy H and Greg- the burritos in the Mission were mind-blowing and gut-stuffing, and the Marin Headlands on a bike a highlight. Cheers Jarrett for a class night out at Rickshaw Stop, lots of fun. Thanks Ian, staying downtown was way better than it would have been out on Fisherman's Wharf.

No comments:

Post a Comment