Monday 22 January 2007

Wood, eggs and Shinsuke

Knackered, then, last last night Sean max me (in height order) tottered off to the ramen place on Eki-Mae. It's wooden inside and small. 6 stiff legs stomped in stomped out and waited on the street peering in under the noren curtain. It was full. Four legs two pretty legs tumbled out soon enough and in we went again. Both entrances heralded a host of gasps and neck cranings of various rotations round our way from a group nearest the door, near the side bar we sat down at and not far from the kitchen (it's a small place). We weren't in the mood for the staring game.

We ate. They have hard boiled eggs by the dozensome, ten yen a pop, right there on the table with a little jar for the money. We killed time spinning them about the table top like reject air hockey pucks, then peeled them badly and picked egg from the shell pieces.

Later, one from the table approached, sat down and began talking to me as I wolfed down noodles. He wanted to talk English. I didn't particularly.

But its funny, I've been looking for someone to help me find someone to exchange English-Japanese conversation recently, through the International Centre. And this guy wasn't the first to have walked up to me and just started talking, just because I looked like I might speak English.

And here it was. A Brand New Friend in the making. We've a mate called Shinsuke who we kind of inherited from the last raft of ALTs who were here. At some point, I guess, he might well too have just strolled up to someone who looked like they spoke English and started talking.

I suffered the guy in the ramen place and then we walked out, Max putting a friendly arm round me outside. 'Well done chum, I couldn't have done that.'

No comments:

Post a Comment